Skip to main content

Being Cool and Like Popular

 Hello. C J here. I’m currently working on a light romance starring some of my characters set in Ascala called Heart of Glass. There will be a series of these and each one has a theme. The theme for the first one is what the characters all do when they have vacation time. Ascala is known for its hard working citizens and so most of my characters who live there don’t like time off. Our main character, the gay male noble blooded Blue, currently has to find ways of entertaining himself on a three month paid vacation. Find the free chapters as I write them in the Novels page in the link.

This vacation project turned out to be a lot larger and more complex than I thought. I had expected to just have our friend Blue go on long walks and eat some lunch. Then I thought about how he prevents heat exhaustion. Then I realized I don’t know what lunch would be good to recover from that much exercise. I looked to my own life for ideas and realized that a lot of what I know about running this home office job here while also exercising might be useful in the story.

I’ve reduced this down to so far two key things that I have to keep in mind to write the novel. One, Blue is an introvert. When all of us here on Earth think of vacation time we probably think of catching up on social media and maybe meeting some new friends. Yes. Amazing. I tried that. I nearly passed out from the fatigue. I’m an introvert and so social media platforms like Bluesky and Facebook are way too social for me to use on vacation time. Earth thank goodness has ebooks as well.

Thanks to looking into this for the novel I’ve rearranged my weekly work structure. I’m doing Bluesky and Facebook for both business use and to meet people. I’m moving that to the weekends and I’m allocating Saturday and half of Sunday to it, no more. If you’re an extrovert then do the opposite. What am I doing instead? I don’t really know yet. An extrovert needs people in a way that I don’t. I’m good with people but I have had to acknowledge that I have limits.

Two, body temperature. I exercise when I’m bored. This I’ve learned is causing a lot of fatigue and is screwing up my ability to plan how much food I need in a day. I have food on hand and I can always make more but if I screw up I’m more or less hungry than I normally am. It’s probably not healthy to keep heating up and cooling down rapidly. So, where do I go with the story from here? I’ve introduced another main character who is also an introvert and is on vacation so I have more characters to work with. Past that I’m still planning.

C J Mcpherson


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Food That is Very Saucy

Hello. C J here. I read a lot of cookbooks. This is done mostly for fun. I’m currently reading a short but really interesting book about traditional Chinese cooking. The book was written by an Indian author who has clearly researched Chinese food very well but some of the translations of recipes or concepts get a bit strange. I’m currently done the soups and starters section and am onto the section labelled ‘food that is saucy.’ Cool? Is it also savvy? There’s a surprisingly large amount of ketchup in the recipes. No I don’t think I want a recipe for hot and sour soup that is thickened ketchup water with vinegar and a bit of cabbage. No I also don’t want to take a slice of white wonderbread, roll it into a tube, stuff it with canned corn, deep fry it and then top it with sesame seeds. What in God’s name do they eat in China? And why is it specifically an image of white wonderbread? China? Are you okay? I managed to take out the vinegar, water and corn starch that makes up most of the h...

The Tunnels Under Haven

 Hello. C J here. Walking down the streets of Haven is not always as safe as the city would like people to think. Yes, they have curbed the banditry that plagues the Southern half of the Coastal Road. The Desert Princes whose cities dot the Southern coast of the Southern Continent if anything make the problem worse for themselves with their constant rivalries and politics. So no, a traveller in Haven or in the River Lands is unlikely to meet a bandit or other criminal sort. But then there’s the walking dead to consider. Many of the basements, catacombs and landmarks of Haven have old foundations from before the city had its current name. In ages long past it was one of two competing capitols for the Desert Empire, both of which unified under the first Sand King of the Gold Dynasty, the God-Lion. It was never his place of residence and both the other capitol and the rest of the Desert Empire are long since buried under the dunes. Well, people like to assume they’re buried. People wo...

Food Notes - Rising Cooktime Hidden Mushroom

 Hello. C J here. I have some more adventures in reading cookbooks for you all today. The book I’m currently reading is a thin paperback about traditional Chinese food written by an Indian author. While the author takes great care to represent Chinese culture and recipes properly ome of the instructions get a bit strange. Here’s some fun observations about how to not make traditional Chinese food. We are starting with the chapter ‘Saucy Food.’ Great. Is the food going to give me attitude? We’re making vegetables in Szechuan sauce. First we cook mushrooms in boiling water. Then we wash them. Then we cut them. Then we wash them again to get rid of the hidden dirt. Really? Where is it hiding? Also maybe wash them before you submerge them in water and dissolve the dirt. Okay cool. Chop bok choy. Cool. Boil water. Let it cool. Then cook the broccoli and cauliflower in the cooled water. What? Sorry, what? Then refresh them by giving them a cold water bath. Okay, were they stressed out be...