Skip to main content

Code Like a Dragon Spotlight - March on Ishrayl

 Hello. C J here. Welcome, friends, to Code Like a Dragon – March on Ishrayl. Code is a learn by doing thing so I’m going to be doing a lot in the near future. March on Ishrayl is my test project to get the level map, character assets, narrative, combat mechanics and sound design for a full release video game up and running. It will likely be for sale through GDevelop itself including test versions once I get them running. I’m going to be documenting my progress on Quantum cards as I go and making a Quantum card set detailing every step of making the game.

March on Ishrayl is set in the Shattered Kingdoms and will be the example game in Code Like a Dragon. Code Like a Dragon relies on the fictitious in-setting video game design platform SquareBuild to represent game design in a generic way. The game we’re making here together will exist in both real life and in the Legend Setting. What that says about the relationship between the Legend Setting and the Shattered Kingdoms will be examined later. I haven’t decided the details yet. Here’s a screenshot of the game project in GDevelop.

And here’s the spell text for the card for Third Person Game.


That’s all for now. Next I’m working on fine-tuning the camera controls that come with the project type and adding some combat buttons near the default jump button. Then maybe I’ll start on the terrain and script.

C J Mcpherson


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Food That is Very Saucy

Hello. C J here. I read a lot of cookbooks. This is done mostly for fun. I’m currently reading a short but really interesting book about traditional Chinese cooking. The book was written by an Indian author who has clearly researched Chinese food very well but some of the translations of recipes or concepts get a bit strange. I’m currently done the soups and starters section and am onto the section labelled ‘food that is saucy.’ Cool? Is it also savvy? There’s a surprisingly large amount of ketchup in the recipes. No I don’t think I want a recipe for hot and sour soup that is thickened ketchup water with vinegar and a bit of cabbage. No I also don’t want to take a slice of white wonderbread, roll it into a tube, stuff it with canned corn, deep fry it and then top it with sesame seeds. What in God’s name do they eat in China? And why is it specifically an image of white wonderbread? China? Are you okay? I managed to take out the vinegar, water and corn starch that makes up most of the h...

The Tunnels Under Haven

 Hello. C J here. Walking down the streets of Haven is not always as safe as the city would like people to think. Yes, they have curbed the banditry that plagues the Southern half of the Coastal Road. The Desert Princes whose cities dot the Southern coast of the Southern Continent if anything make the problem worse for themselves with their constant rivalries and politics. So no, a traveller in Haven or in the River Lands is unlikely to meet a bandit or other criminal sort. But then there’s the walking dead to consider. Many of the basements, catacombs and landmarks of Haven have old foundations from before the city had its current name. In ages long past it was one of two competing capitols for the Desert Empire, both of which unified under the first Sand King of the Gold Dynasty, the God-Lion. It was never his place of residence and both the other capitol and the rest of the Desert Empire are long since buried under the dunes. Well, people like to assume they’re buried. People wo...

Food Notes - Rising Cooktime Hidden Mushroom

 Hello. C J here. I have some more adventures in reading cookbooks for you all today. The book I’m currently reading is a thin paperback about traditional Chinese food written by an Indian author. While the author takes great care to represent Chinese culture and recipes properly ome of the instructions get a bit strange. Here’s some fun observations about how to not make traditional Chinese food. We are starting with the chapter ‘Saucy Food.’ Great. Is the food going to give me attitude? We’re making vegetables in Szechuan sauce. First we cook mushrooms in boiling water. Then we wash them. Then we cut them. Then we wash them again to get rid of the hidden dirt. Really? Where is it hiding? Also maybe wash them before you submerge them in water and dissolve the dirt. Okay cool. Chop bok choy. Cool. Boil water. Let it cool. Then cook the broccoli and cauliflower in the cooled water. What? Sorry, what? Then refresh them by giving them a cold water bath. Okay, were they stressed out be...