Skip to main content

Draw Like a Dragon Spotlight - Strong Torso Art

 Hello. C J here. I’ve got a sample piece of card art from my upcoming art-themed Quantum Expansion Draw Like a Dragon. This card depicts the shapes used to make a 3D model of a strong male chest for use in animation and art. I realized that Code Like a Dragon, my other computer themed Quantum Expansion, should probably assume you have free or paid assets to make a game and not be about asset design.

Here in Draw Like a Dragon I can discuss how to make a cool looking 3D model and colour it in. Code Like a Dragon will detail how to use them in an interactive environment. I don’t know how helpful this will be to people already practising art but I thought documenting my steps must do something useful. The spell poems on the cards will still be in the normal format. Things I’m planning to discuss in Draw Like a Dragon include the following.

How to make anatomically correct people and various anthro species using Android modelling software. This is done in pieces like today’s piece of art.

How to make textures for them using simple Photoshop style software, flat colours and the gradient tool.

How to make environment components and modular a background from tiles. These are reusable.

How to pose a character in a scene.

How to select colours for a scene that work well together.

I do have some classical art education behind me and I’m focusing on 3D art here because really it’s a lot easier and faster. The traditional pieces I do are mostly for personal use. I’m aiming to make one model per day until I have all the ones I need. Then I colour them in and save them with each colour. Then I add them to a humanoid or quadruped character model with animations built in, put them in a background and screenshot them. Final processing can be done in Photoshop style software for effects like oil brush. I think this will work.

C J Mcpherson



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Food That is Very Saucy

Hello. C J here. I read a lot of cookbooks. This is done mostly for fun. I’m currently reading a short but really interesting book about traditional Chinese cooking. The book was written by an Indian author who has clearly researched Chinese food very well but some of the translations of recipes or concepts get a bit strange. I’m currently done the soups and starters section and am onto the section labelled ‘food that is saucy.’ Cool? Is it also savvy? There’s a surprisingly large amount of ketchup in the recipes. No I don’t think I want a recipe for hot and sour soup that is thickened ketchup water with vinegar and a bit of cabbage. No I also don’t want to take a slice of white wonderbread, roll it into a tube, stuff it with canned corn, deep fry it and then top it with sesame seeds. What in God’s name do they eat in China? And why is it specifically an image of white wonderbread? China? Are you okay? I managed to take out the vinegar, water and corn starch that makes up most of the h...

The Tunnels Under Haven

 Hello. C J here. Walking down the streets of Haven is not always as safe as the city would like people to think. Yes, they have curbed the banditry that plagues the Southern half of the Coastal Road. The Desert Princes whose cities dot the Southern coast of the Southern Continent if anything make the problem worse for themselves with their constant rivalries and politics. So no, a traveller in Haven or in the River Lands is unlikely to meet a bandit or other criminal sort. But then there’s the walking dead to consider. Many of the basements, catacombs and landmarks of Haven have old foundations from before the city had its current name. In ages long past it was one of two competing capitols for the Desert Empire, both of which unified under the first Sand King of the Gold Dynasty, the God-Lion. It was never his place of residence and both the other capitol and the rest of the Desert Empire are long since buried under the dunes. Well, people like to assume they’re buried. People wo...

Food Notes - Rising Cooktime Hidden Mushroom

 Hello. C J here. I have some more adventures in reading cookbooks for you all today. The book I’m currently reading is a thin paperback about traditional Chinese food written by an Indian author. While the author takes great care to represent Chinese culture and recipes properly ome of the instructions get a bit strange. Here’s some fun observations about how to not make traditional Chinese food. We are starting with the chapter ‘Saucy Food.’ Great. Is the food going to give me attitude? We’re making vegetables in Szechuan sauce. First we cook mushrooms in boiling water. Then we wash them. Then we cut them. Then we wash them again to get rid of the hidden dirt. Really? Where is it hiding? Also maybe wash them before you submerge them in water and dissolve the dirt. Okay cool. Chop bok choy. Cool. Boil water. Let it cool. Then cook the broccoli and cauliflower in the cooled water. What? Sorry, what? Then refresh them by giving them a cold water bath. Okay, were they stressed out be...