Skip to main content

City Building System in Minecraft Bedrock Edition

 Hello. C J here. Dragon Engine the video game is done for the year, Quantum the card game is going at its normal slow pace until the Starter Set is done and I’m between novel writing projects for now. It’s time for more Minecraft. I’m making a server called Fantasy Plus. I’m planning on getting a dedicated server laptop and I have the money on hand for one. I need a map. The server will be a blend of cooperative MMO and social life for the players.

I thought I’d document my progress here. I might do some of this on YouTube later but I won’t have the time for that until the server is set up. After that I’m adding things to it when I feel like it. I want to complete the MMO aesthetic with player run city building. The server uses Adventure mode so I can’t have them place blocks. I have a solution to all this and it is one of the rare times I’ve had to delve into redstone at all.

Here’s some oddly identical houses for an Ancient Egypt themed starting region. I used the structure block to make these and it can even rotate them. I need to automate this using redstone. The structure block can be loaded with a building and then activated with a redstone signal. The block then loads the building into the game and despawns. The thing is I want the players to have to unlock this by using items. In this case it’s run off a temple I’m going to hide inside of dungeons for players to find. I’m calling it the hearthfire temple.


 This is the city building hearthfire temple. The item on the wall is a blast furnace. Give it coal and it emits a redstone signal. The trick is that the map has no sources of coal except rare quest rewards. It takes fourteen coal to turn one on and players can cooperate on funding a new building and can choose what order they buy them in. This assumes they can reach the temples through the bosses that will guard them. Brief side note, I can hand draw pixel art and I will be making some custom monsters for the end chambers of dungeons. Also you keep items on death.


Here’s the back of the temple wall. All of this building and redstone I can put into a structure block and load it into the game as needed using Bedrock Editor. This back side will never be available to players.


Here’s it turned on. The pistons move the redstone block to keep the temple powered. One moves the blast furnace out of the player’s reach so they can’t reclaim the fourteen coal. Another circuit lights a redstone lantern.

This lantern can be replaced with a structure block that loads a structure several blocks above it, right under where the city will be. The one quirk is that the outline of the city is visible at all times. This will let players know there’s a city to be built there if they can figure out how.

That’s all for now. More soon. I’m going to keep doing Minecraft posts until the new year. I need to make sure I keep my typing skills sharp.

C J Mcpherson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Food That is Very Saucy

Hello. C J here. I read a lot of cookbooks. This is done mostly for fun. I’m currently reading a short but really interesting book about traditional Chinese cooking. The book was written by an Indian author who has clearly researched Chinese food very well but some of the translations of recipes or concepts get a bit strange. I’m currently done the soups and starters section and am onto the section labelled ‘food that is saucy.’ Cool? Is it also savvy? There’s a surprisingly large amount of ketchup in the recipes. No I don’t think I want a recipe for hot and sour soup that is thickened ketchup water with vinegar and a bit of cabbage. No I also don’t want to take a slice of white wonderbread, roll it into a tube, stuff it with canned corn, deep fry it and then top it with sesame seeds. What in God’s name do they eat in China? And why is it specifically an image of white wonderbread? China? Are you okay? I managed to take out the vinegar, water and corn starch that makes up most of the h...

The Tunnels Under Haven

 Hello. C J here. Walking down the streets of Haven is not always as safe as the city would like people to think. Yes, they have curbed the banditry that plagues the Southern half of the Coastal Road. The Desert Princes whose cities dot the Southern coast of the Southern Continent if anything make the problem worse for themselves with their constant rivalries and politics. So no, a traveller in Haven or in the River Lands is unlikely to meet a bandit or other criminal sort. But then there’s the walking dead to consider. Many of the basements, catacombs and landmarks of Haven have old foundations from before the city had its current name. In ages long past it was one of two competing capitols for the Desert Empire, both of which unified under the first Sand King of the Gold Dynasty, the God-Lion. It was never his place of residence and both the other capitol and the rest of the Desert Empire are long since buried under the dunes. Well, people like to assume they’re buried. People wo...

Food Notes - Rising Cooktime Hidden Mushroom

 Hello. C J here. I have some more adventures in reading cookbooks for you all today. The book I’m currently reading is a thin paperback about traditional Chinese food written by an Indian author. While the author takes great care to represent Chinese culture and recipes properly ome of the instructions get a bit strange. Here’s some fun observations about how to not make traditional Chinese food. We are starting with the chapter ‘Saucy Food.’ Great. Is the food going to give me attitude? We’re making vegetables in Szechuan sauce. First we cook mushrooms in boiling water. Then we wash them. Then we cut them. Then we wash them again to get rid of the hidden dirt. Really? Where is it hiding? Also maybe wash them before you submerge them in water and dissolve the dirt. Okay cool. Chop bok choy. Cool. Boil water. Let it cool. Then cook the broccoli and cauliflower in the cooled water. What? Sorry, what? Then refresh them by giving them a cold water bath. Okay, were they stressed out be...