Skip to main content

The World and Good Turkey

 Hello. C J here. It’s Canadian Thanksgiving and I hope everyone celebrating this weekend has a good time. I know holidays can be a bit much. Anyway, I got thinking and I thought I’d restate one of my rules for running this blog. I don’t do politics. I do food, art and games. I write novels about food, art and games. That’s it. I don’t drive at present and I don’t discuss world events outside my sphere of activity.

This does not mean I am not aware of the events going on in the world. Me and my family stay up to date on every happening large or small on this planet. I know everything in real time and have two or three news sites I read five to six times a day. I’m up on it all and I don’t bring it up. Why? Because I’m already trying hard enough to improve human life. A winding discussion about a popular news topic isn’t going to add to that.

In my strongly well researched opinion there are two things that can actually make a meaningful and permanent impact on a human life. One is knowledge. I’ve got the style and process of presenting knowledge here down to a system. I share ideas. This is my job. An idea once taken and used stays that way. I’ll give an example. I don’t like red meat. It upsets my stomach. I’m always low in iron. I learned a while ago that dark chocolate and breakfast cereal contain tons of iron. I’m eating more of those and now I sleep and wake up easier. That’s knowledge learned and life altered for the better.

Two is money. I’ve always bought Canadian. This wasn’t always for altruistic reasons either. Canadian goods are cheaper, better and easier on the environment. Money is power in a countable form and I want that power to stay near me so it’s reinvested in things like better roads and more public events in the region of Canada I live in. It’s better for the world because less fuel was used in getting the product to me so the climate will be nicer for my birthday. Now everyone is buying Canadian. I did it to save money.

I probably seem like all benevolent and stuff running this blog. I’m Scottish. We’re petty money hoarding maniacal idiots.

Happy turkey day.

C J Mcpherson


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese Food That is Very Saucy

Hello. C J here. I read a lot of cookbooks. This is done mostly for fun. I’m currently reading a short but really interesting book about traditional Chinese cooking. The book was written by an Indian author who has clearly researched Chinese food very well but some of the translations of recipes or concepts get a bit strange. I’m currently done the soups and starters section and am onto the section labelled ‘food that is saucy.’ Cool? Is it also savvy? There’s a surprisingly large amount of ketchup in the recipes. No I don’t think I want a recipe for hot and sour soup that is thickened ketchup water with vinegar and a bit of cabbage. No I also don’t want to take a slice of white wonderbread, roll it into a tube, stuff it with canned corn, deep fry it and then top it with sesame seeds. What in God’s name do they eat in China? And why is it specifically an image of white wonderbread? China? Are you okay? I managed to take out the vinegar, water and corn starch that makes up most of the h...

The Tunnels Under Haven

 Hello. C J here. Walking down the streets of Haven is not always as safe as the city would like people to think. Yes, they have curbed the banditry that plagues the Southern half of the Coastal Road. The Desert Princes whose cities dot the Southern coast of the Southern Continent if anything make the problem worse for themselves with their constant rivalries and politics. So no, a traveller in Haven or in the River Lands is unlikely to meet a bandit or other criminal sort. But then there’s the walking dead to consider. Many of the basements, catacombs and landmarks of Haven have old foundations from before the city had its current name. In ages long past it was one of two competing capitols for the Desert Empire, both of which unified under the first Sand King of the Gold Dynasty, the God-Lion. It was never his place of residence and both the other capitol and the rest of the Desert Empire are long since buried under the dunes. Well, people like to assume they’re buried. People wo...

Food Notes - Rising Cooktime Hidden Mushroom

 Hello. C J here. I have some more adventures in reading cookbooks for you all today. The book I’m currently reading is a thin paperback about traditional Chinese food written by an Indian author. While the author takes great care to represent Chinese culture and recipes properly ome of the instructions get a bit strange. Here’s some fun observations about how to not make traditional Chinese food. We are starting with the chapter ‘Saucy Food.’ Great. Is the food going to give me attitude? We’re making vegetables in Szechuan sauce. First we cook mushrooms in boiling water. Then we wash them. Then we cut them. Then we wash them again to get rid of the hidden dirt. Really? Where is it hiding? Also maybe wash them before you submerge them in water and dissolve the dirt. Okay cool. Chop bok choy. Cool. Boil water. Let it cool. Then cook the broccoli and cauliflower in the cooled water. What? Sorry, what? Then refresh them by giving them a cold water bath. Okay, were they stressed out be...